The Northern Michigan Regional Chapter of Safari Club International has sponsored a program called “Michigan Heroes” since 2008. Michigan Heroes is designed to recognize individuals from Northern Michigan who have served our country in the Middle East or who have served Northern Michigan communities as first responders.
Parameters for the Michigan Hero Hunts as approved by the Board of Directors in June 2018 are:
MICHIGAN HERO HUNT PARAMETERS
The Board of Directors shall annually designate a member of the Board to serve as the Michigan Hero Hunt Coordinator.
The Hunt Coordinator shall be responsible for arranging all hunt details including: outfitter; air transportation where necessary; license; tag fees; guide and cook tips; and taxidermy fees where necessary.
The Hunt Coordinator shall solicit nominations for this recognition annually and shall present all nominees to the full Board of Directors for selection prior to any offer being made to an individual.
Individuals who are residents of Northern Michigan and who have served the US military overseas (preference for those who have served at least one tour of duty in the Middle East), police officers and/or full-time fire personnel are eligible for nomination. The Board of Directors shall give first selection preference to those who have been injured during the line of duty. An attempt shall be made to rotate the selection among the various branches of service.
The Hunt Coordinator shall first attempt to secure a donated hunt from one of the Chapter Auction donating outfitters. All Chapter funds committed to the Hero Hunt program shall be exclusively committed from the Chapter’s General Fund revenues (not Pathfinders) and are to be used exclusively for the Michigan Hero Hunter unless the selected hunter is incapacitated/wounded and requires physical assistance. No Chapter funds are to be expended on behalf of any other individual who may, entirely at their own expense and only with the prior consent of the Hero Hunter accompany the Hero Hunter. Chapter funds shall be used to cover direct expenses associated with the hunt but shall specifically exclude: firearms importation fees; baggage fees; transportation fees to and from the airport of departure; over-night stays before or after the hunt, meal expense before and/or after the hunt; and, any other incidental fees that may be incurred. In the event a member of the Board of Directors is needed to accompany a Hero Hunter because of a hunter’s disability, the Board member shall accompany the Hero Hunter at all times during the trip. A member of the Board shall not, under any circumstance, be a hunter during a Michigan Hero hunting trip.
All Michigan Hero Hunters shall execute a release of any and all liability claims indemnifying the Chapter, Safari Club International and the outfitter prior to the hunt departure date.
Hero Hunters shall commit in writing to provide the Chapter with digital photos of his/her experience and shall present same at the next following auction program.
The list of individuals who have been recognized for their service and selected to participate in Heroes hunts and where they hunted are as follows:
- TSGT Kevin Dreyer, Lachine – 2008 – Hunt provided by South Paw Outfitters, Alberta, Canada
- Army National Guardsman Sergeant E5 David Purol, Posen – 2009 - Hunt provided by South Paw Outfitters, Alberta, Canada
- Sergeant E5 Justin Grosinski – 2009 – Hunt provided by Moose Country Outfitting, Alberta, Canada
- USAF Master Sergeant Terry Muszynski, Alpena – 2010 – Hunt provided by Itcha Mountain Outfitters, Quesnel, British Columbia
- Master Sergeant Troy Brown, Alpena – 2010 – Hunt provided by Anchor Bar Expeditions, Alberta, Canada
- United States Army Specialist Willian Hann, Alpena, Michigan – 2011 – Hunt provided by Itcha, Mountain Outfitters, Quesnel, British Columbia
- United States Air Force Master Sergeant Joe Slaught, Alpena, Michigan – 2011- hunt provided by Anchor Bar Expeditions, Alberta, Canada
- Air Force Technical Sergeant, Carl Hatala, Alpena, Michjgan - 2012 - Hunt provided by Anchor Bar Expeditions, Alberta, Canada
- United States Marine Corps 1st Lieutenant Robert Shaner, Sterling Heights, Michigan – 2016– Anchor Bar Expeditions, Alberta, Canada
- United States Marine Corps, Dan Shepard – 2017 – hunt provided by Corey Kristoff’s Classic Mountain Hunts, Alberta, Canada
- United States Air Force Master Sergeant, Matthew Nissen – 2018 - hunt provided by Corey Kristoff’s Classic Hunts, Alberta, Canada
- United States Army Veteran Kevin Bradley – 2018 – hunt provided by - Northern Michigan Regional Chapter at Jack Pine Safaris – Lewiston, Michigan